Cavities are often referred to as tooth decay. It is a condition where tiny holes are formed in your teeth. Usually, cavities are common among children and teenagers. However, they are seen among infants, toddlers, and adults as well.
The clinic for family dentistry in North Mankato, operated by Dr. Angela Schuck and Dr. Keith Flack, receives plenty of cases of dental cavities. They offer advanced treatment techniques, modern technology, and an all-inclusive service to ensure your oral health remains perfect. Their personalized approach and warm and welcoming environment have made them a popular dental clinic in Southern Minnesota.
Tips for avoiding cavities
- Brush your teeth at least two times a day, and replace your toothbrush every 3 months.
- Try brushing for about two minutes and pay attention to every tooth in the process. If this seems difficult, try doing it with a timer.
- Floss your teeth regularly, preferably once a day.
- If you have kids, ensure you are supervising their brushing technique until they are old enough.
- Keep drinking water. A dry mouth and lack of saliva are one of the main causes of cavities.
- Limit your intake of sugary foods and drinks.
- Every time you eat something, you are promoting an acidic attack on your teeth. Well, this doesn’t mean you don’t have to eat but try to avoid snacking frequently.
Visiting your dentist can help
Well, you don’t have to visit a dentist only when you have cavities and need treatment. On the contrary, visiting a dentist in North Mankato regularly and getting your teeth professionally cleaned helps in removing tartar build-up and thereby avoiding cavities. Also, when your dentist examines you, they recognize even the smallest cavities and suggest a treatment plan before the problem gets bigger.
For most people, one or two sessions of thorough teeth cleaning are enough to avoid cavities and tooth decay. However, some may require more frequent sessions. The thing is, if cavities are identified in the early stages, it gets easier to tackle them.
Signs and symptoms of cavities
If you are wondering whether you have cavities or not, simply look for the below-mentioned signs:
- Experiencing extreme sensitivity upon eating very hot or cold food.
- Sensitivity to spicy food.
Lastly, if your child is suffering from cavities, he/she might wake up in the middle of the night and start crying. This is mainly because they are struggling with toothache. During the day, when they are occupied with plenty of activities on hand, they might not feel it. However, at night the sensation of pain increases. In such a situation, it is best to visit your North Mankato dentist immediately.